Competition pours on praise for more than dozen ILM craft beers
The 2019 N.C. Brewers Cup competition recently served up awards to 14 local breweries, further reinforcing the Cape Fear region’s reputation as a thriving craft beer destination. This latest recognition comes just weeks after the launch of Craft on the Coast – a consumer-facing campaign designed to draw out-of-town beer enthusiasts to the region to taste and enjoy ILM craft beers.
More than 100 craft breweries from around the state entered some 710 hops-infused creations across 31 different style categories. When all was said and done, judges tapped 14 breweries, with locations stretching from Surf City to Ocean Isle. This is double the number of local breweries from 2018.
The Brewer’s Cup – in its eighth year – represents the largest commercial craft beer competition in the state. The event draws hundreds of beer aficionados from around the Southeast and is administered by the N.C. Craft Brewers Guild.
According to the North Carolina Craft Brewers Guild website, the NC Brewers Cup trophy and all category medals will be presented to winners at the annual NC Industry Awards Banquet held on Nov. 6 at the NC Craft Brewers Conference.
ILM CRAFT BEERS & BREWERIES THAT PLACED
- Wilmington Brewing Co. – Honorable Mention for Best in Show – Beer Name: Moon Dance Blonde Ale
- Flying Machine Brewing Company – Bronze – Category: American Lager – Beer Name: Neo-Bohemia
- Wilmington Brewing Company – Gold – Category: Light American Hybrid – Beer Name: Moon Dance Blonde Ale
- Makai Brewing Company – Silver – Category: Light American Hybrid – Beer Name: Island Falls Cream Ale
- Makai Brewing Company – Gold – Category: Scottish & Irish Beer – Beer Name: It’s Not A Skirt! Scottish Ale
- Waterline Brewing Co Wee Heavy – Silver – Category: Scottish & Irish Beer – Beer Name: Wee Heavy
- Wilmington Brewing Company – Gold – Category: American Pale Ale – Beer Name: Beach Time
- Waterline Brewing Co – Silver – Category: Specialty IPA – Beer Name: Black IPA
- Wilmington Brewing Company – Bronze – Category: New England IPA – Beer Name: Jason, Stop Texting Your Mom
- Wrightsville Beach Brewery – Bronze – Category: Brett, Mixed, & Wild Ale – Beer Name: Raspberry Berlinerweisse
- Edward Teach Brewing – Gold – Category: Fruit Beer – Beer Name: Peach Wheat
- Front Street Brewery – Gold – Category: Wood-Aged Beer – Beer Name: Tomb Rocker Soured Hungarian Oak
- Red Hare Brewing Company – Bronze – Category: Wood-Aged Beer – Beer Name: Nothing But Flowers…..for Algernon
- Bill’s Brewing Company – Silver Category: European Lager – Beer Name: Merganser